Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rock River Arms (RRA) Coyote Carbine Review Part 1 - The Acquisition

Rock River Review, RRA Review, RRA Coyote Rifle Review
Last month my brother-in-law purchased a new Rock River Coyote Carbine .223 rifle.  Over the weekend I got a chance to check it out and was extremely impressed with the rifle. Since he live out of town, he let me take it home so I could spend more time reviewing the rifle.  He purchased the rifle from Hit and Run in Tucker, Georgia for $1122.43 out the door and said there were Rock River Arms cases everywhere in the store.  Even though he had his scope mounted on the rifle, I decided to remove the scope and mounts for two reasons.  First, I want to review the rifle before any accessories are added.  Second, I want to review the Burris AR-P.E.P.R.™ Mount and the Nikon Coyote Special 3-9x40mm Scope.  The picture below shows his setup before removing these items.  There were several positive things that really stood out from my first impression such as eye appeal, light weight, grips, and trigger pull.



The picture below is my brother-in-law shooting some 100 yard groups with cheap ammo just to get the scope sighted in better and to see how some cheap ammo would group.  I'm not going get into accuracy yet, but out of three different shooters, we had a max group of 1.55" and min group of 1.30" with Wolf  Military Classic 55 gr. FMJ.  Not bad for cheap ammo, but this weekend I plan to put accuracy (or my shooting abilities) to the test with some Buffalo Bore Sniper 55 gr. and 69 gr. ammunition.  I was real happy with the results I got with Buffalo Bore Sniper ammunition using my FNAR and thought I would try some out on this 3/4" MOA advertised rifle.


This review will be broken down into multiple posts and then I will do a final summary that ties all the portions together.  Make sure you check back regularly to see the progression of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment